Thursday, May 27, 2010

Postcard from the Greek Islands



A week ago, I was watching a video of an interview with Bill Moyers and Joseph Campbell. In the interview, one of Bill Moyer's questions was: Are we (mankind) trying to find the meaning of life? Joseph Campbell responded: I don't believe people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive.
All these years that I have spent reading Dalai Lama's books, Man's search for meaning by Vicktor Frankel and so on! For me, this answer just hit in the right spot. It also made me think of my purpose of starting my Postcards Series: recounting the experiences of being alive. With this profound subject it also made me think of a totally silly and funny experience while visiting Greece. I travelled to the Greek Islands with 3 friends that I had met at school in Florence. To our shock, in most beaches people were generally nude - didn't matter what age you were, young, pretty, chubby, old - most people weren't wearing anything. The three of us were blushing; One of the them (the naugthy one)convinced us to at least go topless -and we did! - if we were going to do it, it had to be in Mykonos! This was quite an experience that even for a long time I didn't want my mother to know!
Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Aimee Sicuro said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! Your work keeps getting better and better. The textures are beautiful. I see many picture books in your future!

Dyan said...

Hi Sarah, I loved reading this post it resonates with me so much right now. I think that that is exactly what we search for deep in our hearts - the experience of being alive and just living in the moment. I would have blushed too at the beach! Going nude is still on my 'moments of being alive' to-do list!